Dreams are turning to reality! A* and I have wanted to have chickens for a while..neither of us have ever done it and we have no clue but we have never let things like facts or knowledge stop us..so a couple of weeks ago we bought materials for beginning construction on a chicken coop for around 4-5 chickens…today was the day the weather improved enough to begin construction..
- 8 – 2×6’s
- 20 -2×4’s
- 3 thoughts of eggs
- 2 1/2 nails ( a whack )
- wood preserver
- 1 vision of chickens
- 2 sheets of osb
- 6 patio stones
- bad mood
- surly attitude
OK, so I know in the next little while I am going to be building a chicken coop..I have some ideas as to what I want for a floor size..I am going 4×8..so that will give me almost 32 feet of room..minus the walls interior. The land that we own is QUITE hilly, rocky and sloped so the very frist thing I need to to is to place down some patio stones..but even before that I need a level area to put them on..so out comes the good old shovel and pick..then back-filling with some rough gravel..this is so I have something consistant..not that the coop will not shift with the frost. After the patio stones are in place I assemble the ‘joists’ from some 2×10’s that I treated with preservative. Getting the thing level was an exercise and a half..I understood what I had done wrong after I started..I had never done this part of construction before so there was much to learn…but I eventually got it ‘level’..with a slight slant towards the door so that water would run-off when it was cleaned. After the joists were on and level I put on the plywood flooring…that was it for day 1.
- making the ground level takes time..like 2 hours..and its hard work
- I am an idiot
- how to square a structure: measure from corner to corner..if its the same it is level.
- sealing softwood from mositure and mold – bought some wood preserver from the hardware store..applied liberally too all boards and cuts that will be on the outside of the structure in the form of support..
- I am still an idiot
- will the chickens like the color I choose?
- how do I do a roof?
- how much more wood will I need?
- am I qualified to do this job?
- would drinking beer fater help improve the project or my mood more?