..know what a murder of crows is? its what a group of crows is called…a murder. Not sure why.
The story of my interest in crows started with them being intelligent animals:
After I saw this..I started thinking it would be cool to try to get crows to want to come around my place..what would be the harm in that?..and maybe I could train them too..later. If they associated me with food they would want to come around more..and what harm could come of that..so in the Feb and March I started:
- phaze 1…encouragement ( over a month ): whenever I saw a crow in the yeard I would throw out a piece of bread or some dog food..since it was Feb the dog food would often times get stuck in the snow..I was never able to get the bread or food too far way from the house..but if I stayed away from the windows the crow would eventually get it before Jango. The crows would never stay where they were when I went outside..always retreating to a nearby tree..
- phaze 2: observation: phaze 1 started to work..where I would only occasionally see a crow before they became more common place..and would show up as 1 or 2 instead of only 1. One would usually sit in a tree while the other foraged..seeing a crow became a daily thing
- phaze 3: feeding: I set up a high feeder for the crows…but the crows never went for food in these feeders. Feeders is a loose word..I should say a tinfoil pie plate with dog food in it.
- Phase 4: accidental feeding: I had a bag of birdseed that got wet. Instead of throwing it out I put it on the driveway. Within a day or 2 seeing crows became constant.
- Phaze 5: oops: phaze 4 really worked. I was seeing crows all the time..and that is when bad things started happening. Garbage bags were ripped open, trash littered around and the crows were always here..it was to the point where in the past the crows would fly away and sit in a tree they would now fly into a tree and crow non-stop at me until I went back inside. I am not an animal..I am a human being! It was like I was infringing upon them now.
- Phaze 6: full on retreat. got up out of bed and started the fire at the end of March..the crows were at my place all the time during the day. I could see in thier flight patters that they would fly from afar and follow my driveway..so when I was leaving or coming I would invariably see crows coming or going. Anyway, I start the fire and open the curtains to a bring and beautiful day..and I looked out the window and sitting in a tree opposite my house is 20-40 crows. I was a little shocked actually..I know that when a crow dies other crows sometimes congregate to mourn thier fallen comrade..but these were clearly here for the feed I had been leaving out. I was growing tired of crow-proofing my stuff so I put a stop to it..no more feeding the crows.
- Phaze 7: infrequency: the crows were around alot the following week..but I think they are smart enough to realize that a good thing went bad. And now that its been a month I only see crows every 2-3 days..
I guess its a good thing that I decided to end our friendship this way..my grandmother hated crows and early in the spring she would always shoot one and hang it from the trees so that other crows would know not to mess with her garden..and she claimed it always worked..and I believe it. crows are too smart..I really only wanted to have 1 crow come around and for me to train him to fly around a bank like ‘Its a WOnderful Life’..oh well..maybe for Christmas!