Day 2: 1 week later..slow and steady wins the race…or that is what I tell myself!
talked to K* during the week..I was thinking of keeping the coop small as a first attempt..but he convinced me that 8ft is a good height for the coop and then I would not have to cut as much and I would have more room to move around..so the weekend rolls around and I head out to work on the coop…and I start to assemble the frames for the walls..Once again I have never framed in a whole wall and kept it level, square and plumb…and I don’t think I have yet..not a huge success but its better then nothing..and I also hear that chickens don’t know much about architecture..they still consider Frank Lloyd Cluck to be a genius..GROAN..
anyay, I got the back wall built and we stand it up it up and secured it. then attached some 2×4’s to the ground to hold everything ‘flush’..yeah right. the first time I walked away and looked back it looked like I was doing a leaning tower of Pisa impression..but I fixed that all up and secured it again. The second wall was the front wall and it was a little more complicated due to the fact that it had a window…the window that we chose was from our original building and was bigger than I wanted..but the price was right at $0. We had to go through the whole pile of old windows from the camp as well as windows from my brothers place..and any other windows we might have picked up over the previous 2 years..about 30 windows in all. So, I built the frame on the ground again and made a space for the window…witout too much difficultly…then we put it in place and secured it…time flys when you take 1/2 hour looking at wood trying to imagine what you should be doing..lessons learned..measuring pays for itself. The next time I frame a wall I will measure even more than I did..being off by 1/4 inch seems like a small deal until you have to go back and do something else to compensate for the wrong measurement.